Monday, August 11, 2008

Friday at the hospital

On Friday evening I started having strong contractions. I was resting on the couch and they continued to come. We went out to dinner with Bob and Erica and they continued to come strong and I started timing them at 8 min apart. After they continued for an hour and a half at 8 min apart, the all of a sudden dropped to 4-5min. apart. 

My dr had suggested to get into a bath of warm water to see if they stoped (real contractions wouldn't). After about 30 minutes in the bath they were just as strong, and same minutes apart. As I got out of the tub and dried off, they coninuted and I called my dr. She said to come on in to the hospital (she was already there). While we were finishing packing our hospital bags, in the car, walking into the hospital and getting on the monitors, they came strong at 4 minutes apart. 

Then, they started to back off. :( Not as strong and not as frequent. I was checked when we arrived at 10:30 pm and was at a full 2cm dilated. Once they were able to track good rates on the babies hearts, they allowed us to get up and walk around. I had some strong contractions while walking (had to pause our walk) but they weren't coming at 4 or 5 minutes. :( We did a combination of walking and monitoring and when I was checked again about 12:45am, still at 2cm. 

Good news, it was most likely early labor. Bad news, it could last for days. :( I was given something to sleep and sent home. I'm happy that the babies are still inside for at least a few more days. The more time they spend inside, the less time they would spend in the NICU. 

No comments: