Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Twin comments

When we are out and about we get many questions and comments. It never ceases to amaze me some of the questions we get. I'll list some of the comments and questions we get.

1) Are they twins? um, no, I just took the neighbors baby that is about the same age.

2) Are they both yours? That is how twins work!

3) Are they identical? Well one is a girl and one is a boy, what do you think?

4) Do twins run in your family? Does it really matter?

5) Oh good a boy and a girl, your family is done. Um, isn't that our decision?

6) Oh bless you. I know that can be a nice comment but when it is said sympathetically, not so nice.

7) I can't imagine having twins. That is why God gave them to us and not to you.

8) How do you do it? Well, I feed them change them and love them just like you do one baby.

9) I've always wanted twins! Did you want the preterm labor, complicated pregnancy, possible NICU time, two mouths to feed, two diapers to change, two medical bills to pay, two babies to get up with in the middle of the night? It isn't all puppies and rainbows.

10) Are they natural? Aren't all babies natural?

11) How far apart are they? 21 min THEY'RE TWINS??? yes, there are only 2lbs difference between them, not 9 months worth.

The worst will have to be the ones that say "I just have to stop you." We want to reply, "Then we will just have to run you over." We get this about 2 times a month. People will walk right in front of the stroller or cart and stop you. Do they realize that they aren't the only ones that do that and people like that make our shopping trips turn into all day outings.

I thought everyone would get a laugh from our daily events.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I would guess that most people making those comments don't mean any harm.

I'm sure in my lifetime I have made many comments like that, and I would hope I didn't make someone walk away rolling their eyes at me.

Lani said...

Hiya! Just wanted to invite you to join our multiples blog network! www.multiplesandmore.blogspot.com!

And, of course most people making those comments don't mean any harm:) But when you hear the same comment for the 15th time in one day, and you are trying to get somewhere with small children who are on the verge of meltdown, a little eye-rolling can be tough to avoid:)

Mandy Ammermann said...

Oh boy, we get those comments ALL OF THE TIME too! Haha...oh all of the public attention kinda makes you feel like the bodyguards to little celebrities doesn't it? We wonder, is this ever going to stop as they get older? But then...we just might miss it one day...it's kinda nice for people to recognize that multiples are a pretty special situation, you know?

Anyway, we have some distant connections...my husband, Fred, and I had our twins last November. My sister is Beth Canen. My mother-in-law is Bill's great-grandmother's neighbor... small world huh?

Anyway, I like to check in and see how the four of you are doing every now and then. HAD to leave a comment about this post, because it's soooo true! haha

AH, yes, and my fav is, of course, the "are they identical?" question. Even better is how some people STILL look completely confused when we answer, "Well, no, one's a boy and one's a girl." As if they really don't understand how it would be impossible for them to be identical.

OH! And my new fav reply to "Do twins run in your family?" is "Well, we're still working on crawling, but yes, someday I imagine they will!" ;-)