Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Things Returning to 'Normal'

What a hectic two weeks that just was! Mom had her spring break the week of March 2nd and decided to come down to see the kids. Mom and Dad (Brent) got in around 6pm on Wednesday and stayed till Monday morning. It was really nice getting to see them, but it also makes us home sick too. We had a lot of fun while they were down. Bob and Erica took us all to Kings Mountain National Military Park, and we learned about the Revolutionary battle that took place there. We also did the shorter hike up the mountain to the memorial on top. We'll have to post some pictures, but it looks like a mini Washington Monument. It was a gorgeous day both Saturday when we went to the park and Sunday when we went to a shopping center in Charlotte that was on a boardwalk. We also went out to eat for my birthday while at the boardwalk, which was wonderful. It was nice to eat with family this year, I missed that last year.

Monday was my birthday, and for the first time I think it actually started to hit me that I'm getting 'old' as my brother likes to say. Maybe it was having the kids, or maybe because I'm closer to 30 then 20 now :( Regardless of how 'old' I am now, it was 82 degrees and sunny on my birthday!!!! It is NEVER nice on my birthday (downside of living in Michigan for most of your life). Karrie and the kids met up with me in Charlotte for some food after work and then we drove home, windows down sunroof open. Boy did that feel great.

Ben and his new girlfriend Carolyn came down on Thursday to visit. Ben hadn't seen the kids yet, so it was really nice to have him down. We had Meloney come over and watch the kids Saturday night and the six of us (Ben, Carolyn, Bob, Erica, Karrie and I) all went skating at the local roller rink. Holy Highschool Hangout Batman!! The place was packed, but still had a good time skating. Sunday we all went to church, and Karrie and I passed a large milestone. We had the kids go to the nursery during service for the first time. I think Forest Pointe is starting to grow on me the more we go, hopefully we can say our search is over soon. Ben really wanted to play hockey with Bob and I as it had been well over a year since we all laced 'em up together. Our plan hit a temporary snag when I decided to fall my way up the stairs with Billy in the afternoon. I stubbed my toe going up the stairs and just about got my balance back when my knee bashed into another one. As a result, Billy started to fall out of my arms headfirst. I reacted as quickly as I could and got my right arm under his neck/back and my left grabbed his feet. I slammed down hard on the stairs and slid down a few, but Billy never touched them. All I could do was roll over and cry, a combination of the immense pain radiating from my arm and knee and the worry about my son. Karrie came rushing down the stairs, scooped up Billy and checked us both out. He was fine, not a bump on him, but the same couldn't be said for me. I had a goose egg on my knee and forearm, and was really hurting in my elbow. We iced everything down, but my elbow was still hurting in a odd spot. I called Dad up for some expertise, and he came to the conclusion that there was most like just some tissue damage (tendon/muscle) but nothing more. He told me to take some motrin and only do what doesn't hurt. I would try flexing it around for a few minutes to see how it would feel, and as the night went on it slowly felt better. When it came time for us to leave for hockey, I decided it probably best not to go. About a half hour after Bob and Ben left, Karrie turned to me and asked "What's wrong?" I apparently had a sad look on my face and I told her that I really wanted to go play. I tested out my elbow some more, and it didn't feel too bad, so I grabbed my stuff and headed for the rink. If it started to hurt, I could always stop, but at least I would be there with the guys. The elbow was fine all night and we had a great time. Definitely worth the chance, at least till today. Oh man does my whole body hurt lol!!! I hadn't played hockey since last Apr/May and my body is letting me know it.

So here we are, two weeks later and trying to return to our 'routine.' Without that, the kids get cranky and Karrie and I go insane! But we had a great time with everyone, and wouldn't change a thing (ok, except maybe that whole stair thing lol).

Happy St. Patrick's Day Everyone!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had an eventful 2 weeks..Good and bad. Glad you are better and "little Willy" is ok. Miss you all so much....Hurry and come to Michigan it's nice here now - 72 today. Love Dottie

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your fall Bill. It's emotional being a parent isn't it. Sorry I haven't called. Been pretty stressed with school. Had a big project, but it's finally done now. Glad you are ok and that you went to play hockey anyway. Somethings are worth taking a chance on aren't they?
The pictures are really great. #7 of Bekah in the places we will go looks familiar! Seems I remember your brother stuck under the chair a few times! lol! Looks like you have a mover or two on your hands!
I miss you a lot too. Hope to see you soon. I had a great time and I'm glad I didn't miss it. I enjoyed spending time with you.
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey sis love all the new pic's! where did u find the St. pattys day stuff and the new years stuff i forgot to ask before! Miss you guys. XOXOX Aunty Melissa