Monday, February 16, 2009

A day in the life

Many have asked "How do you do it?" and my usual reply is "you just do."

Here is a glimpse of my day. 

5:45 Get out of bed, let Kaylee out (unless she decides to stay in bed with daddy), put ice pack in bottle bag (for pumping), put ice pack in my lunch box, make my breakfast, put bottles in kids bag, get a glass  of water.
6:00 Eat breakfast while pumping, go over the "to do" list for the day, check email for work and personal, look over lesson plans
6:20 Take my breakfast dishes to the sink, put milk in the fridge, load pumping bag, get all of the kids bags ready, get car seats ready, brush teeth, use the restroom
6:30 Jump in the shower, do my hair, give both kids meds, wake bill up to get the kids in their seats, get dressed.
7:00 Double check kids bags (check for diapers, wipes, bottles, cereal, clothes), 1st trip to the car: load bags, 2nd trip to the car: load Bekah, 3rd trip to the car:load Billy and we are off. 
7:15ish Arrive at Meloney's house, bring kids in, debrief Meloney on kids night and anything else important. 
7:25ish Head to school, run through mental "to-do" list see what is important
7:35ish Arrive at school, unload my bags, remember that I forgot to grade papers or something else the night before, make sure classroom is ready for the day, get my computer up and running, check work email again. 
7:45 Use the restroom, sign in, check work mail box.
7:50 Pick up my students and start my day.
8:00 Morning meeting
8:15 Math meeting
8:30 Math 
9:15 Specials (Art, Music, Computer, PE, Media, Guidance) Tuesdays and Thursdays I have meetings, the other three days I meet with parents, staff or get things done.
9:55 Small math groups
10:30 Writing
11:00 Read aloud
11:10 Recess
11:40 Lunch
12:00 Restroom, get ready for the afternoon
12:15 Shared reading begins
12:45 Guided reading
1:45 Content/ICU (I teach SS/Science)
2:15 Pack up, review the day, any last minute instructions/reminders
2:25 Dismiss students for 1st load, car riders/walkers, get 2nd load students ready and dismissed to classrooms.
3ish take 2nd load students to the bus
3:15-4ish get ready for the next day, work on lesson plans for the next few weeks, make copies, phone calls, meet with grade level, any meetings (parents or staff)
4ish leave to pick up kids
4:30ish get home, feed kids cereal, playtime
5:00ish put kids down for a nap, unload my bags and kids bags, fold laundry, wash clothes, unload dishwasher, load dishwasher, pick up kitchen and living room, clean kitchen and living room, make my lunch and Bill's lunch, put cereal in bowls for kids lunch, put milk in bottles inf ridge, pack kids bags (all while running upstairs putting pacifiers back in mouths)
6:00ish kids get up and play, entertain kids and start dinner, work on school stuff if I can, eat dinner and play with kids
7:00 bath for kids
7:30 bottles, diaper change and pjs (some nights bath and bottles are in revers order)
8:00ish cuddle with kids, rock for a few minutes, take upstairs, put in sleep sack, turn on music and vaporizer, cover with blankies and give pacifiers, run back upstairs as needed to give pacifiers.
8:30 pick up living room and kitchen, watch a show with Bill, fold laundry
9:30 pump and go over the next day's "to-do" list
10:00 wash bottles and pumping parts, put milk in the fridge, get ready for bed. 
10:30 try to be in bed, Bill has pacifier duty till he goes to bed, since Bill doesn't hear the kids most nights, I have pacifier duty till I get up (may only be 1 or 2 times, or 15, who knows).

I know I have forgotten a few things, but here is a glimpse of my day. Hope you have enjoyed a day in the life of a twin mom. Are you tired yet? ;)

1 comment:

grjag said...

I do not miss those days!